Monday, August 13, 2012

How to Make Cream Horns

Cream horns are quite simple to make with one basic item..... a set of cream horn molds.  I ordered two sets with some of my birthday money.  One sheet of puff pastry makes 12 cream horns, and two sets meant I could bake a dozen at once.


Butter or grease each of the molds.  Roll out the thawed sheet of puff pastry a bit and cut into twelve strips.  Wrap a strip around each of the molds starting at the small end.


Place these back into the freezer.  When frozen, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare an egg wash and brush each unbaked cream horn.  (I forgot this step.)  You can also sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and brown.  Allow to cool completely on the mold.  When cool, remove molds and fill with whatever you like.  The puff pastry itself is not sweet so these would work with savory fillings if you omitted the sprinkle of sugar prior to baking.  I filled mine with sweetened whipped cream.


I want to try making my own puff pastry in the future.  The frozen puff pastry is easy to work with and convenient.  These would make impressive appetizers or desserts but are really simple to create!

No comments: