Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Book Review: The First Family Detail by Ronald Kessler


"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them," publisher Malcolm S Forbes once said.  This line from the prologue is a true statement in life but especially for those who are in the public eye.  I thoroughly enjoyed Ronald Kessler's previous book, In the President's Secret Service.  I jumped at the chance to read this one and was not disappointed.

This book includes behind the scenes looks at the presidents' and their families' lives.  I cannot imagine having someone watching my every move.  Still I do not believe this gives anyone the right to treat someone poorly.  Some of the individuals handle this with grace and kindness.  Others are simply letting their true character shine through.

The First Family Detail also provides insight into how the Secret Service works and occasionally does not work.  At first I did not think I would enjoy learning the how and why behind the Secret Service.  I did learn a few things which is one of the main reasons I enjoy reading.  A person can take mindless entertainment for only so long.

After reading this book I will be more mindful of candidates' character.  My favorite part of the book is this:  John Adams, the second U.S. president, said the people "have a right, an indisputable, inalienable, indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge - I mean the character and conduct of their rulers."  ..... Yet over and over, voters have ignored warning signs of poor character and candidates' track records and focused instead on their promises, their celebrity, and their acting ability on television.  I am sure none of us would like our "dirty laundry" aired for all to see.  At the same time very few of us are running for such a high level position.  The First Family Detail is a great book and one I would recommend.  

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments: