Thursday, May 26, 2016

Pantry Challenge Week 4

I think I have at least two more weeks at least of the pantry challenge.  I ended up being a bit over this week but hope it will balance out next week.  Part of the problem is that I needed some items to test a recipe for a book review.  We also added a couple of junk food items to the cart again this week.  With last week's uneaten junk food purchases, I should be able to stick better to the budget next week.

I spent $29.49.  I dug out $1.49 in change from my wallet and will consider myself $3 over for the week.  Here is I purchased:

Doritos
Cheez-its
Penne Pasta
Crushed Tomatoes
Mushrooms
Carrots
Peaches
Cherries
Plain Yogurt
Cheese
Whipping Cream
Sour Cream

What we ate:

Pasta with Vegetables & Bread sticks:  Gardens here are starting to produce.  My aunt gifted me some zucchini & yellow squash.  I sauteed both with chopped onion, dried tomatoes (last year's garden), and some of the mushrooms.  I added in cooked penne, Parmesan cheese (left from last week), and garlic.  It was a made up recipe, but we both loved how it turned out.  I will definitely make it again.  The bread sticks were homemade, and I put two portions in the freezer for future meals.


Grilled Cheese:  I was aching from moving boxes of tile, and W was feeling better so he took care of this meal.


Homemade Corn Dogs with Zucchini Tots:  I was trying to make good use of the squash we were gifted.  Honestly I was a bit surprised at how much W liked them.  These will definitely be on the menu again.


Pizza & Salad:  Nothing spectacular, but I was able to add peppers and cucumbers from the garden to the salad.


Burrito Bowls:  I had extra filling left from making burritos.  I served that with chopped lettuce, salad, sour cream, and corn chips.

Hamburgers and Chips:  This was an easy quick meal one evening.

Pizza:  W had been asking for homemade pizza.  I had two portions of dough in the freezer.  I topped it with cheese (already on hand), mushrooms (also on hand), pepperoni (from the freezer), and banana pepper (garden).

Baked Chicken Tenders and Oven Fries:  I coat the chicken tenders in homemade breadcrumbs to make them crunchy even though they are not fried.  The oven fries are simply potatoes sliced into strips and soaked in water to remove some of the starch.  I then toss them with olive oil and salt/pepper before baking them.  They turn out crisp and are cheaper and healthier than purchasing frozen fries.

Big Salads:  We had two chicken tenders left over.  I served these in a big salad of lettuce and vegetables from the fridge/garden and homemade salad dressings.

Egg Salad and Chips:  I am never lacking for eggs.  This made an easy after church meal.



No comments: