Saturday, December 3, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Shades of Wrath by Karen Rose Smith is book six in the Caprice De Luca Mystery series.  I had not read any of the previous books but had no problem jumping right into this one.  Caprice is a home stager and is asked to make over some areas of a mansion for a women's shelter.  Things are going well until the director of the shelter is found murdered.  Caprice gets drawn into the mystery.  The characters are interesting, and I liked the spotlight on domestic issues.  The writing was good but not great.  I felt that some aspects of the book (the reality tv show) added little to it.  I was looking for a bit more.  While not a bad book, Shades of Wrath is not one of my favorites.

Haunted is Always in Fashion by Rose Pressey is book three in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series.  This cozy mystery leans far to the fantasy side.  The main character, Cookie, owns a vintage clothing store and has a ghost following her around.  I like a good ghost story, but I am not sure this qualifies.  While the mystery was interesting, most of the book focused on what Cookie was wearing that day.  I felt that the book lacked depth and was lighter than what I prefer to read.  If what you enjoy is a fluffy, fantasy book, this will be perfect.

Queen of the Cookbooks by Ashton Lee is part of the Cherry Cola Book Club series.  It is marketed as women's fiction.   Overall I was very disappointed.  I kept reading thinking eventually something interesting would happen.  Spoiler alert:  The Queen of the Cookbooks is crowned about halfway through the book.  Things were too syrupy sweet and perfect.  I do not mind a feel good, fictional novel, but I do want the book to be sightly believable.  I have not read any of the previous books.  If there was any character development it happened prior to this book.  I think with a bit of adjustment it would be better for teens/young adults.

First Degree Mudder by Kate Dyer-Seeley is book four in the Pacific Northwest series.  This is the first book I have read in the series.  It features two mysteries.  The main mystery takes place when main character, Meg, signs up for Mind Over Mudder to help her train for a mud run.  She finds trainer and former drill sergeant Billy dead.  The side mystery involves Meg looking into the death of her father which happened years before.  The book also features a bit of romance.  I enjoyed the main mystery and also how the series has room for development over time.


disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: