Thursday, November 9, 2017

52 New Recipes: Cheeseburger Soup

Since I am trying to focus on using what we have on hand, I was happy to find a cheeseburger soup recipe that used onions, potatoes, carrots, and celery.  As usual I made just a few changes. 

First I cooked the meat, onions, carrots, and celery together all at once.  That is a personal preference since I feel like it blends the flavors together.  Also it kept me from messing up another dish by setting the meat aside.

Second I added beef broth rather than chicken broth.  It enhanced the burger flavor a bit more.

Third I added in a homemade version of the block processed cheese.  I cannot eat that processed cheese stuff.  I will spare you the gory details, but it shall never pass my lips again.  This trick makes any cheese melt as creamy as the block stuff.  You can buy sodium citrate from Amazon.  It is truly magical. 

Finally I used a cup of half and half simply because we were out of milk. 

It was delicious.  The soup was creamy and filling without being too rich.  This is going into the regular meal rotation.  I did freeze the leftovers and will serve them with a salad later in the month. 

2 comments:

Little Penpen said...

I'll bet that soup was delicious!

Cheryl said...

I made something similar without using potatoes and it wasn't a hit in our house at all. Cheryl