Saturday, May 26, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Siriously Delicious by Siri Daly promises a mix of nutritious and not as nutritious recipes.  It covers everything from breakfast to sides to desserts.  I did mark a few recipes that looked good including the Greek nachos and homemade samoas.  I thought overall the cookbook was best for beginners .  All of the recipes were good, but a serious home cook would most likely be bored.  I make variations of many of the recipes already.  If you are a new cook, this would be an excellent cookbook to start your journey!

Nicola Temple's Best Before:  The Evolution and Future of Processed Food fell a bit flat for me.  I could not decide if the author was in favor of or against processed foods.  She mentioned that hand making pasta at home was more difficult than using a machine to make pasta at home.  If the ingredients are exactly the same, I hardly see a huge difference.  I also found it confusing that she said buying a frozen lasagna and bagged salad were better since they eliminated food waste.  I would much rather discuss ways to use up fresh ingredients instead of being told to choose convenience.  I prefer an author to take a firm stand on a topic.  Plenty of people "ride the fence" on issues as a safety net, but I want substance and conviction.

Bad Neighbors by Maia Chance is the second book in the Agnes and Effie Mystery series.  Agnes and her great aunt Effie get a test run of the Stagecoach Inn when a tour group needs a place to stay while their bus is repaired.  When Agnes goes to pick up the senior guests, a mechanic at the repair shop has just been found murdered.  To make matters worse, her boyfriend Otis is the only suspect.  Agnes must juggle the inn guests and investigating the murder all while being stalked by the murdered.  I did guess the killer's identity before it was revealed, but it did not make me enjoy the book any less.  I adore Agnes, Effie, and cousin Chester and am already looking forward to more of their adventures!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: