Sunday, May 5, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

The 30-Day Money Cleanse by Ashley Feinstein Gerstley is a four week guide to changing your money habits.  Each week has simple steps to gradually adjust how you handle your money.  The book does not set out hard and fast rules of things you must do.  Rather it gently guides you.  The book is best for those starting out on their money journey.  Frugal black belts will not find much new information, but this book is a valuable resource for those wanting to begin a change.

Martin Fone's Fifty Scams and Hoaxes brings to light trickery of all types over the years.  Based on the span of cases presented in this book, it is obvious that people will always continue to be gullible.  It is divided into sections by type of scam and is easy to pick up and read a few sections.  This book was interesting, eye opening, and a bit sad but overall very enjoyable.

The Super Organic Gardener by Michael Appleby takes the garden beyond organic to vegan.  While I do not share the author's beliefs, I was open to reading this book.  I can understand his point about not using any animal products or by-products.  My concern is that he recommends using pressure treated lumber which I would never want in my garden.  He also takes a strong stance against feeding or helping birds.  It gets hot - super hot - where I live.  The birds appreciate a container of fresh water for drinking.  Much of the book is devoted to the nutrition of vegetables rather than growing practices.

The Step-by-Step Guide to 200 Crochet Stitches by Tracey Todhunter is a wealth of information.  I am fairly new to crochet and found this very helpful.  It is full of pictures and written instructions for each of the stitches.  I can see this being a useful reference especially if I ever get brave enough to venture past written patterns.  I am not sure if a very experienced crochet would enjoy this, but it is great for a beginner or intermediate.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: