Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Homemade English Muffins

I ordered a set of baking sheets from King Arthur Flour before Christmas.  A recipe for English Muffins caught my eye.  Last week when I had some yogurt that needed to be used up.  I went straight for the recipe.  It was simple enough to mix up.  After the dough rose, I rolled it out.  I used a cookie cutter to cut 14 circles.  These rested on a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal.  I then cooked them on a griddle.  It was amazing to watch them puff up and brown.

The smells brought my husband into the kitchen where we cut into one.  Hmmm....the yogurt gave it a wonderful sourdough taste.  Next we topped a piece with butter and homemade strawberry jam.  I will definitely be making these again.  I never thought it would be so easy or produce such yummy results. 

(I apologize for the poor picture.)


I ate one the next morning with cream cheese, and my husband had two turkey bacon, egg, and cheese muffin sandwiches.  We shared a few and put some in the freezer as a trial.  Using homemade yogurt these are quite frugal.  It is also hard to beat homemade when it comes to taste.

1 comment:

Helena said...

did you make the muffin recipe I sent you yet? (Cheddar cheese and apple)
And you have been busy, I'm most impressed with seeing dusters, crocheted items, baby shower, bread...!!!!