Saturday, December 9, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Canal Days Calamity by Jamie M Blair is the second book in the Dog Days Mystery series.  Cam is rushing to finish the planning for Canal Days when she finds a local man dead behind her sister's shop.  When the town handyman is arrested, Cam knows she must jump into the investigation and find the real murderer.  I read the first book in this series.  While it is helpful, it is not necessary.  The mix of characters in this book is a definite plus.  I enjoyed this book, and the mystery kept me guessing a bit until the end.  The only downside for me was Cam's constant use of "good gravy".  It is not enough to keep me from reading book number three though.

I was excited to read The Herbalist's Guide to Formulary by Holly Bellebuono.  I am a big fan of using herbal remedies.  This book is based on using a 4 Tier system for making remedies.  While the book provides good information, it is not for a beginner.  Very little information is given regarding preparation and dosing.  I found the descriptions of how the body works a bit unnecessary.  As good as the information is, the book left me wanting more.

A Fatal Collection by Mary Ellen Hughes is the first book in the Keepsake Cove Mystery Series.  Callie reconnects with her Aunt Melodie.  Her aunt's sudden death finds Callie the sole heir of her estate which includes a music box shop and cottage in Keepsake Cove.  Callie is not convinced that her aunt's accident was as simple as that and begins an investigation.  The mystery in this book is not strong, but the characters and setting more than make up for it.  Keepsake Cove sounds like such a charming place.  This is a great start to a new series!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: