Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Testing Tuesday - Pineapple Coconut Buttermilk Pie

I found this recipe on One Hundred Dollars a Month and had pinned it.  I had all of the ingredients on hand and decided to make it last week.  The recipe did not state the size of the pie crust.  I used a purchased frozen crust and thought I had bought deep dish ones.  I was a little annoyed to discover that they were regular crusts.  I seriously need to remember to double check and not go by the tag on the shelf.

As usual I made some changes.  I made enough changes this go around that I completely rewrote the recipe.  I omitted an ingredient and adjusted a few others.  If you want to see the original recipe (which is actually an adapted one as well) go here.



Pineapple Coconut Buttermilk Pie (adapted from One Hundred Dollars a Month)

1 frozen deep dish pie crust
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn meal
5 large eggs
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a whisk combine sugar, corn meal, and eggs in a large bowl.  Add in remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.  Pour into pie crust.  Bake for 35 minutes or until set and top is lightly browned.  Allow to cool thoroughly and store in the refrigerator.

I ended up making two small pies.  When baked in a deep dish crust, it will be thicker than the one pictured above.  I sent one pie to work with W and took the other to Sunday dinner with my parents.  I was worried that W's co-workers would not like it since I cut the sugar amount by more than half.  He said they loved it so much he only got a tiny sliver of the pie.  Fortunately I had leftovers so he got pie at home.  

No comments: