Sunday, November 4, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

The Nightmare Before Dinner by Zach Neil features recipes from the Beetle House.  The book features everything from sauces to desserts.  I found the sauce section to be most interesting.  A large section of the book is cocktails which did not appeal to me.  Only one includes directions for a non-alcoholic version.  I did expect to see a few more recipes for main dishes.  My husband quickly nixed the burger which included chocolate covered bacon.  That might work well in a theme restaurant but not in the average home.  If you are a Halloween fan, you would enjoy this cookbook though. 

The Frighteners by Peter Laws takes a look at people's fascination with the macabre.  Peter Laws just happens to be a pastor who loves all things horror.  He takes a look at everything from ghosts to vampires to zombies.  It might seem like the two do not go together, but it was interesting to read how watching The Exorcist led to him being saved.  I enjoyed this unusual look at horror through the eyes of a minister.

The sixth book in the Candy Coated Mystery series by Nancy Coco is Forever Fudge.  A film crew invades Mackinac Island over the Labor Day weekend.  Allie is busy with the end of tourist season.  It seems that a murderer is taunting Allie after two bodies are found with notes addressed to her.  I figured the killer out early on, but I still enjoyed the book for the setting and characters. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: