Saturday, November 10, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Assault and Beadery  by Mollie Cox Bryan is the fourth book in the Cora Crafts Mystery series.  Cora has organized a mom's craft retreat with her friends Jane and Ruby.  When the director of the community theater is murdered, their friend Zee is the prime suspect.  Cora struggles to prove her friend's innocence while keeping the retreat guests in line.  I enjoy the crafty side of this series.  Each book gives background information on a particular craft which is beading in this book.  The guests were a bit on the "moms gone wild" side, but it was nice to see a bit of a crossover with another series.

The Dead Ringer by M.C. Beaton is the twenty-ninth book in the Agatha Raisin Mystery series, but it is the first book in the series that I have read.  I had heard great things about the series and was excited to read this book.  Unfortunately I was disappointed.  The story jumped all over the place with no true consistency.  They murders were not really investigated but only mentioned now and again.  The remainder of the book was full of Agatha chasing man after man after man and screaming at people.  Perhaps I should have read some of the previous books to understand more about Agatha.  I do not see the charm based on this book alone.

disclosure:  I received these books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

2 comments:

shari said...

The Agatha Raisin series started off pretty well. But, as it happens, the series turned into a less than desirable read. Too much fighting, fussing, and man chasing. The plots went from being entertaining to 'I'm ready for this book to end' read. I haven't read one of Beaton's books for a long time.

Shari in Columbus, GA

Dawn said...

Shari, thank you for the comment. I was definitely in the "I'm ready for this book to end" category. Glad to hear it was not just me.