Wednesday, February 1, 2017

In The Garden

Work in the garden was minimal this week.  I did a quick check of the plants growing in the raised beds - a few herbs, garden peas, kale, and radishes.  I watered everything in the greenhouse a couple of times.  Since I had gone through my seeds, I placed my seed order.  This year I purchased all of my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  Not only are the seeds excellent quality, the prices of the seeds are very reasonable and shipping is a minimal flat rate charge.  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is easily my favorite seed company.

What did I order?  My process always starts with a list of what I need, followed by a list of what I need and larger list of what I want, and eventually I get to the final list  that is a scaled down version of list two.

Vegetable/Fruit
Kiwi Plants - 3
Cherokee Tomato
Blue Berries Tomato
Yellow Pear Tomato
Honey Rock Melon

Flower/Herb
Yarrow
Gaillardia Indian Blanket
Coreopsis
Butterfly Weed
Sweet Sultan Imperialis
Tall Sweet Alyssum
Gillia Globe
Echinacea
Blue Sage

A few items on my final list were out of stock so if those come back in stock I will purchase them.  I purchased more wildflower seeds since I talked W into adding a flower bed along a section of fence that borders a neighbor's property.  The flower bed means that he will not need to weed eat or spray the fence row so it was not a hard sell.  My plan is to attract more bees, wasps, beneficial insects, butterflies and hummingbirds to the yard.  I will add some of the flowers in my vegetable garden as well.  These flowers will self-seed, and I can collect seeds to put flower beds along other areas of our property.  The initial investment will be well worth it in the long run.

This is not an entire list of what I plan to grow.  I do have a pile of seeds left from last year.  I will still need to purchase some pepper plants and will probably find other seeds that was not on the original list.  I try to be strong while walking through the garden section, but I slip a bit each spring.

Have you ordered your garden seed yet?  What is on your must plant list this year?  Do you have a favorite seed company?

No comments: