Sunday, February 12, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

The Woman Next Door by Yewande Omotoso is described as being about two women:  one black and one white.  For me this book was more about two women and the choices that led them to where they are.  Race played a role definitely in the story, but saying that is what the book is about sells it short.  Hortensia and Marion are both older and are bitter enemies.  The reasons for their attitudes become clear as each individually tells her story.  They are brought together by life circumstances.  This is a wonderful novel.  I found myself picking it up every time I had a spare minute.  It deals with race, growing older, choices, and attitudes.  While the topics are weighty, the book is very enjoyable.

I am normally a big fan of Dorothy Cannell's Ellie Haskell Mystery series.  I expected that I would enjoy Bridesmaids Revisited.  Ellie's family is out of town at a retreat, and she plans to work on redecorating the house.  Instead Ellie ends up taking a trip to visit "The Bridesmaids" who are friends of her long dead grandmother.  I found this book to be very disappointing.  First so many new characters were introduced that I found it hard to keep everyone straight.  These new characters also brought about many sub-plots.  I would have had no problem with it all spread over several books, but it was too much going on at once.  One would think for these reasons that the book would have been very exciting.  However, the story dragged on and on with no real stand out mystery.  This is one book in the series I wished I had skipped.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: