Sunday, March 25, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Lethal in Old Lace by Duffy Brown is part of the Consignment Shop Mystery series.  I have not read any of the previous books, but I had no trouble following this one.  Reagan Summerside lives in Savannah, owns a consignment shop, and is newly engaged to Walker Boone.  Her neighbors, sisters Annie and Elise, are professional mourners working with a local retirement center.  When the retirees begin dying faster than expected, Annie and Elise become the prime suspects in the suspicious deaths.  Reagan, her mom, and her aunt jump in to clear their names.  I love how perfectly southern this book is.  I have already added the previous books to my wish list!


The third book in Karen Sue Walker's Bridal Shop Mystery series is Murder in Blue Gingham.  Max is finishing up the dress preparations for her friend Olivia's wedding.  An unexpected guest arrives and is soon murdered putting the wedding in jeopardy.  Max begins investigating in an attempt to save her friend's big day.  I have read the previous books, but it is not necessary to enjoy this one.  I enjoy all of the characters in this book - particularly Keiko, Max's assistant.  Max is a strong, smart lead character which is a nice change from some cozy mystery stereotypes. The mystery kept me guessing up until the end.  A side story line left me anxious for the next book in the series. 


disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley or via the author but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: