Saturday, October 5, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

Murder's No Votive Confidence by Christin Brecher is the first book in the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series.  Stella owns a candle store and has done all of the candles for an upcoming wedding.  When the bride's uncle is found murdered with the large unity candle, Stella begins sorting through suspects.  This was a nice opening novel to the series.  Stella and the other characters work well together although I can already see the beginnings of a love triangle.  I thought this was a good first book and look forward to further character development as the series progresses.

The sixth book in the Country Store Mystery series by Maddie Day is Strangled Eggs and Ham.  Robbie, owner of the Pans 'N Pancakes and the newly opened B&B, is happy to have have both of her businesses thriving.  The town is buzzing with news of a proposed resort outside of town.  Some people are in favor while others are completely opposed.  A guest at Robbie's B&B is also a lawyer and offers to help the group trying to stop the resort.  When he is found murdered ahead of a scheduled protest, those involved with the resort at the top suspects.  Several twists and turns kept me guessing until the end.

The Peach Truck Cookbook by Stephen K and Jessica N Rose promises 100 Delicious Recipes for All Things Peach.  It was fun to read about an area of Georgia that I know well with some wonderful recipes as a bonus.  My only regret is that I read this recipe after peak peach season passed so I will have to wait until next summer to try most of the recipes.  Southerners will be familiar with some of the recipes including the peach cobbler which bears a strong resemblance to the recipe most every southern grandmother used.  I am looking forward to peach season so that I can put this cookbook to use!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: