Friday, March 4, 2011

Cooking from Scratch

I have recently found myself making more items from scratch. I have two reasons. The first is that I like my food to be fresh. Being able to make breads from scratch means that I can buy up basic ingredients and extend the time between shopping trips. My second reason is that I want to know what is going into my foods. I am overwhelmed by companies trying to convince me that those unpronounceable ingredients are not bad for me. I am not saying that they are bad, but they are not necessarily good either.

I realize that most people do not have time to cook everything from scratch. I find that it does take up a portion of my week. Obviously mixing and baking bread is not as simple as tossing a loaf in the shopping cart. I feel the need recently to get back to basics though. I have never liked to be dependent on others for everyting. I have always liked to be able to do things myself. This is just an extension of that.

I will continue to not take the easy way out. I am not saying it is the only way. For me at this point it is the better way.

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

I will join you on wanting to know what is in my food. I still haven't made bread, but I am hopeful that it will happen soon! :)