Monday, September 19, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers

I have one jalapeno plant this year, but it has produced well. The problem is that my poor jalapeno peppers are not spicy at all. I was determined to use them to make a healthier version of poppers.

I sliced each of the peppers in half (leaving many of the seeds and most of the membrane). In a small bowl I combined cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. I stuffed this mixture into the pepper halves.



Next I rolled each stuffed pepper in flour, egg, and finally panko bread crumbs. I then put the tray of completed poppers in the freezer.

To bake I preheated the oven to 425 degrees. I cooked them for 12 minutes, but they would have been better at 16 minutes. Next time I will add more cheddar cheese and hopefully have spicier peppers. Overall I am pleased with this recipe and will use it again.