Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September Daring Bakers' Challenge - Croissants!

The Daring Bakers go retro this month! Thanks to one of our very talented non-blogging members, Sarah, the Daring Bakers were challenged to make Croissants using a recipe from the Queen of French Cooking, none other than Julia Child!



I was so excited to see this month's challenge. Croissants have been on my baking wish list for some time now. This was the extra shove I needed to actually try them. I love making breads and not to brag but I tend to be pretty good at it. I make all of the crescent rolls each time my church has a dinner. (I currently have 144 in the freezer waiting to be baked for a dinner on Sunday.)



The recipe's steps look very intimidating. While croissants are time consuming, I found the recipe itself to be very simple. I did it over the course of a day. I would like to try it again and spread the steps out over two or three days. I think having the extra rising time at the end would improve the layers.




My only complaint about the recipe was the amount of salt. I suppose that if I were not eating a low-sodium diet (by choice) I would never notice. Since I am not used to much salt however, it was all I could taste. I had hoped to try the recipe again this month with half the salt but never had the time. I will definitely make them again soon. I know I need additional practice. For a first attempt though I was very pleased.


Thank you, Sarah, for a wonderful challenge and for the extra push to get me to actually make them rather than just dream about making them!

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am impressed! I have never bake croissants, too intimidated by all the steps, yours look delicious.

Audax said...

I'm impressed only 57 steps to perfect croissant LOL LOL. What a lovely effort you did and the rolls look gorgeous well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

terricheney said...

I'll be the third to tell you how impressed I am. I have a recipe for croissants in one of the back issues of Victoria magazine and just reading it made me wonder if I could possibly do it.

Did you use bread flour or regular all purpose?

You really are challenging me to be more adventurous in the kitchen...Sounds like a good goal for next year's list.

Susan in SC said...

Dawn - these look beautiful! I know they were delicious as well. You must be a master baker.

Helena said...

They look so yummy. I agree about salt, I don't use it much either and I'm sure you can halve if not remove nearly all the salt from most recipes and it will still turn out fine.

Any photos of your decorated porch!? I've love to see it.