Thursday, October 27, 2011

October Daring Bakers' Challenge - Povitica

The Daring Baker's October 2011 Challenge was Povitica, hosted by Jenni of The Gingered Whisk. Povitica is a traditional Eastern European Dessert Bread that is as lovely to look at as it is to eat!

Prior to this challenge I had never heard of Povitica much less tasted it. I went with the traditional filling using walnuts. I tried to keep the dough a bit sticky as suggested by other bakers. My dough was a bit too sticky and rolling it out was a nightmare. I thought I was never going to get it into the pan. At that point I did not have high hopes for my Povitica. In spite of all the problems, it baked up quite well.

The longer it was in the refrigerator the better it tasted. I will most likely make this again in the future. Hopefully next time the dough will be easier to work, and I can get more swirls in my bread. To see the recipe and my fellow bakers' finished breads, check out The Daring Kitchen.

No comments: