Friday, September 7, 2012

Garden Check In

I have started on my fall garden.  I am fortunate to be able to grow vegetables outside almost year around where I live.  (The other few months I can grow lettuce in the greenhouse so gardening is all year long here.)  First I planted cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprout seeds.  The seedlings were so spindly that they ended up dying.  I tried again and am having better luck this time.

 
 
I planted some other seeds in an older raised bed.  Most are not doing too well, but I do have a nice bunch of radish seedlings.

 

You will notice I have wire over the top of them.  This is what happens when you combine unprotected radish plants and free range chickens.  Obviously chickens love radish tops.


I have a new tomato plant that sprouted in the compost pile.  I dug it up and put it in a large pot.  If the super cold winter weather holds off, I should be eating fresh tomatoes at Christmas.


Last week I worked really hard on refreshing one of my raised beds.  I added some organic peat hummus we bought at an auction, horse manure (from a neighbor's farm), compost from all the kitchen scraps, and peat moss (purchased).  I planted zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, and sunflower seeds.  W said that if they did not grow then I was doing something really wrong as the soil is super rich.  The packet said that the seeds would sprout in 10-14 days.  It took them only four days to sprout.  We should be eating fresh vegetables by Halloween. 


I still have room in the raised bed and am considering planting some lettuce and spinach along the edges since the soil in this one is so much better than the other.  I also need to do some maintenance work on my spring planted tomatoes.  With a little coaxing they will produce more tomatoes too. 

Do you grow a fall garden in your area?

2 comments:

Helena said...

As you know I grow nothing - in about 3-4 weeks time we'll be at risk of frost so everything will die back. We nearly had frost 2 nights ago, it was very cold, but in the day it was really warm. Typical English weather! You have to pretend to be an onion, peel off layers as the day goes by. My fall garden is just colourful plants - some heathers, sedums, the nasturtiums (which I don't eat) and my late flowering daisies (various)...

Dawn said...

I grow nasturtiums too, and I do not eat them either. We are about 3-4 months away from a risk of frost unless fall/winter are as odd the rest of the recent weather has been.