Sunday, August 30, 2020

Weekend Book Reviews

 Nacho Average Murder by Maddie Day is the seventh book  in the County Store Mystery series.  Robbie has left Indiana for a class reunion in California.  While there someone shares some startling news about her mother's death.  The book was okay, but I found myself missing the country store setting.  The characters seemed a bit disjointed in this one.  The story itself jumped from one thing to the next with no flow.  While I love this series, this book is not at the top of my list.

The eleventh book in the Tourist Trap Mystery series by Lynn Cahoon is Murder in Waiting.  Jill, owner of Coffee, Books, and More, is upset to learn that the historical society has rejected her request for historical site approval.  However, things may be turning to her favor when one of the society's experts, Frank, runs into outside her store.  Sadly Frank is run down, and this starts a snowball of problems for Jill.  The mystery was a bit too predictable and seemed to be sidelined by all of the wedding stuff.  I prefer my cozy mysteries to be heavier on the mystery.  

Death on Windmill Way is the first book in the Hamptons Murder Mystery series by Carrie Doyle.  Antonia has started a new life on the East coast as the owner of a restaurant and bed and breakfast.  She bought and renovated the property without any real business plan or even a thorough check of the property's background.  She discovers that the previous owners all died under suspicious circumstances.  Antonia is not very likable.  She is extremely judgmental of everyone and is surprised to learn she is nearly broke even though she imported furnishings from overseas.  The author's writing style was a bit long-winded.  I found myself skimming entire sections as the descriptions went on and on (and on).  Antonia's best friend was a pointless addition who flitted in and out in a self-absorbed cloud.  I will be passing on future installments.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: