Sunday, August 2, 2020

Weekend Book Reviews

Marshmallow Malice by Amanda Flower is the fifth book in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series.  Juliet and the reverend are getting married so of course Bailey is pulled into the nuptials.  She is serving as maid of honor as well as preparing the cake along with her grandmother.  Summer heat and marshmallow frosting are not a good mix.  Even that mess does not compare to the shocking events during and the morning after the wedding.  Bailey and her friend Cass find themselves in the middle of a mystery.  I adore this series, and it is easily one of my favorites.  The author tackles religious differences as well as alcoholism in this book.  The subjects are handled with tact and well woven into the mystery.  I look forward to the next installment!

The second book in the Vintage Sweets Mystery series by Kaye George is Deadly Sweet Tooth. I had a few issues with the main character Tally in the first book, but I decided to give the second one a try.  Tally is hosting a party for her parents and hires three new employees.  When a guest at the party is murdered, Tally's dad becomes the main suspect.  Unfortunately the murderer was quite obvious the first time the character was introduced.  Aside from the weak mystery, I had several issues with the book. First Tally is completely incompetent.  Two of the people she hires are candidates for the worst employees in the world, yet she continues to let them work.  Second Tally does not even listen when people talk and instead makes up her own "clues".  Third in the South "y'all" is only used when referring to more than two people.  When one person walks up to you, do not ask if "y'all want to sit down?".  Finally either I was missing a chapter near the end or the author gave up.  Sadly I am giving up on this series after two strikes.

Death by Auction by Alexis Morgan is the third book in the Abby McCree Mystery series.  Abby is helping her tenant and friend, Tripp, with a bachelor auction for his veteran's group.  The emcee for the evening turns out to be a very unlikable person, and no one is very sad when he is found murdered.  That is not the only shocking event of the night.  Tripp's ex-wife also returns to town.  I love the characters in this series although Abby was much nicer than I could ever hope to be.  I look forward to more from this series. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: