Monday, June 1, 2009

A June Challenge

As I climbed over stuff piled in the floor of my pantry to put away my purchases last week, I decided I needed to quit shopping -- at least for a little while. I have enough toothpaste, shampoo, soap, snacks, etc to last until 2010 and beyond. Add to that the fact I am tired of driving the 20+ miles into town once a week to buy things I already have. When I visited my mother, she was having the same space problems I was. I made a challenge to her to not go to the grocery store this week.

I decided to expand the challenge for myself. I am allowing $10 per week for grocery shopping. I am not buying any books. Honest I won't even though the last time I only made it 10 days before caving in. I will make it 30 days this time around. I am not going to purchase any household items that are not necessary this month. I will be purchasing a gift card for my SIL's birthday with money already set aside for that. My goal will be to save as much of dh's paychecks for the month of June as possible.

I knew this would be hard, but I am already trying to resist temptation on day 1. I am trying not to buy a taco shell maker that forms the tortillas into taco shell shapes as they are fried. I tell myself it is only $10, but I could save that $10. Instead I am going to try using tin foil to make a rack to bake the homemade tortillas on. Baking is healthier than frying, and the tin foil can be reused.

I will still be paying all of the normal bills and such. I only want to cut out those extra items I buy throughout the month. A few dollars here and there do no seem like much, but I think they will seriously add up by the end of the month. My goal is to report daily on my progresses and failures. Join me as I try to tighten my budget and get closer to our goal of a new house.

No comments: