Sunday, April 26, 2020

Weekend Book Reviews

The Grumble Free Year by Tricia Goyer is the perfect book to read during the current situation.  It follows a large family over the course of a year in their attempts to stop grumbling.  It made me much more aware of the times I am tempted to complain.  I appreciated the author's real and honest portrayal of her family.  Did it make her family or will it make any family grumble-free?  No.  The point is to try to be better today than the day before.

Beginner's Baking Bible by Heather Perine is not just for beginners.  I am a seasoned baker, but I marked recipe after recipe that I wanted to try.  My first one was the raspberry jam bars which my husband gave one and a half thumbs up.  He said ice cream on the side would have been the other half of a thumb.  My favorite thing is that the majority of the recipes use basic ingredients.  That makes it perfect for quarantine baking and when you need something that can be made with ingredients on hand.  I can see myself turning to this cookbook time and time again!

Food Fix by Dr. Mark Hyman takes a look at the current food system and its many, many problems.  The information included was well laid out and revealing.  Sadly it was also quite depressing as many of the issues were caused by government "help".  I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  I simply have little hope that any of the big fixes can be implemented. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: