Saturday, January 2, 2021

Weekend Book Reviews

 Varnished Without a Trace by Misty Simon is the fifth book in the Tallie Graver Mystery series.  Tallie is taking some time off from her cleaning business to enjoy the Christmas season with her boyfriend, Max.  She finds herself playing referee between her mother and grandmother though.  That leads to Tallie discovering the body of her Aunt Ronda and in the middle of another mystery.  The mystery is a bit on the lighter side, but I do like the series.  While not my favorite in the series, it is a good holiday themed mystery.

The fifth book in the Kebab Kitchen series by Tina Kashian is Mistletoe, Moussaka, and Murder.  Lucy is taking a morning off from Kebab Kitchen to take part in a Polar Bear Plunge along with many others from Ocean Crest.  When a fellow polar bear is murdered, Lucy finds herself in the midst of another mystery.  The problem this time is she is hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't want the man dead.  This is another of my favorite series.  This is a classic cozy with a fun female lead, mystery, and just a hint of romance.  It is a good, relaxing read.

A Case of Cat and Mouse by Sofie Kelly is the twelfth book in the Magical Cats Mystery series.  When I read the "magical cats" part, I felt certain I was not going to like the book.  I could not have been more wrong. Even though I have not read any other books in the series, I had no problem jumping right in with this book.  Librarian Kathleen is hired to help with research for a cooking competition.  After she discovers one of the judges dead, she finds herself doing investigation along with the research.  While the cats did have "magical powers", it was not the focus of the book and certainly not as out there as I feared.  This could easily become one of my favorite series!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: