Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday Garden Update

The herbs


The tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers



The lettuces, radishes, carrots, pumpkins, and watermelons



I added a few non-plant items in the garden this week. The first was some wire sections over certain squares. That kitten keeps digging/rolling in the dirt. Honestly she thinks she is a dog. It is a good thing she is so cute. The second thing is tomato cages. I am using them as pepper cages, cucumber cages, and pumpkin cages. I did not buy as many as I actually need simply because I am trying to stay within my budget. I will add more to my collection next year. In the meantime I made some trellis type items from things I had on hand. I used tobacco sticks that were once used to string tobacco for drying and some garden twine. These will suffice for this year.


I have found a new interesting website thanks to a friend. Little Homestead in the City is a wealth of information. I amazed at the amount of food that is grown in such a small space. I love the idea of living a simple life and growing much of what we eat. I am planning to be as organic as possible with my garden. One of my goals is to be more self-sufficient and be kinder to the earth overall. I doubt I will ever garden on the scale that this family does, but it is fun to imagine.

No comments: