Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Night Meals


I made out my entire February menu last week prior to my shopping trip. I do not have a set weekly plan but will pick and choose off the monthly list. Sunday nights are especially hectic here. I am at church when DH comes in from work. He comes to church afterward. We get home between 8:00 pm and 8:30 pm so I need a quick meal that does not require a bunch of cleanup. I usually turn to my crockpot.


This one was purchased used at a yard sale. It still works great and is the perfect size for a meal for the two of us.


On the menu for Sunday nights this month is:


Chicken Tortilla Soup - We are having this tonight. I cooked black beans yesterday. Those get tossed in with some canned tomatoes, two boneless chicken breasts, and some salsa. I serve it with cheddar cheese (from the large bag purchased at Sam's) and tortilla chips. I have leftover chips but I usually bake some tortillas that I cut in strips.


Chili and Cornbread - I make my own chili seasoning mix and add in some onions and bell pepper to the ground deer meat while it is cooking. I do use the Jiffy mix to make my cornbread as this is what DH likes.


Hot Ham Sandwiches & Barbecue Chips - I got the recipe for the ham from The Homespun Heart. We eat this on homemade rolls. This month we are having chips with the meal since I purchased these as part of the Pepsi promotion.


Cheesy Chicken Chowder - This is a new recipe and I have yet to try it out. DH often feels like a guinea pig since I test so many recipes on home.


I will be sharing the rest of our menu in the coming weeks. It feels great to have a set list of meals so I am not digging randomly in the freezer for something to cook. Shopping for the month is also better for my budget. I tried to use what I had on hand as well to help my budget. I live much too far out in the country to make random trips to the grocery store or a take out place.

No comments: