Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Craft Project: Straw Hat Makeover

I was digging through my tear files a little while back and found a picture I had torn out of a Woman's Day magazine in 2000. It was an order form for a pattern book of straw hat projects. I kept the pictures thinking one day I would make one. Well it took me nine years, but I finally got around to it. Here is the new welcome decoration hanging at my front door.

It is made from an old straw hat, cardboard, and felt. From the original picture it appears that the tail and feet were made from felt. I used the cardboard that comes with the postage stamps I order online. I used newspaper to make my patterns for the feet and tail. I just cut them free handed until I had something that looked right. My hat is under a porch so I should have no problem with the cardboard pieces. I cannot promise how they would hold up to much moisture.

I painted the hat, four feet, and tail orange. It took two coats to cover well. Next I mixed wheat and copper colored paints to make the stripes on the body and tail. I used green felt for the "Welcome" and pink felt for the ears and nose. It is hard to see the whiskers, but they are made from thin gauge silver wire. I used a marker to draw the toes and make the mouth. I hot glued everything (plus my index finger).

My only cost for this project was $2 for the orange paint. Everything else was scraps left from other projects. The hat was formerly a bonnet type "wreath" with ribbons and flowers. I was really pleased with how my thrifty project turned out - aside from the finger incident.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

it turned out really, really cute!

Susan in SC said...

This is adorable!! I might just need to copy this for my front door! You did a great job!!

Hugs,
Susan

Mary Beth said...

I know this blog post is old now.

But, if you see my comment, can you please tell me where you bought your straw hat for this project?

I'm looking for one that has a rounded and flat top. All the ones I find are more pointed. Thanks!

Dawn said...

Mary Beth, thank you for visiting my blog. I actually found this one at a thrift store. I have gotten them from Dollar Tree but the brim was not as large.

Shelley McClure said...

I picked some up at the craft store in the floral department.