Thursday, January 7, 2010

Weekly Shopping & Meals

I have been trying to do the freezer/pantry challenge for the start of this year. My only problem was I had not been grocery shopping since the beginning of November. We were pretty bare on a few items but still have a large stockpile to work with for another month or so. At the end of December I also placed a rather large spring garden seed/plant order. Since the garden will help with our food budget later, I have opted to take the cost out of the food budget now. That meant cutting back on our grocery spending for a few weeks.

My goal for January is to spend $25 a week on groceries. Here are this week's purchases and my total:

6 cans corn
sliced ham
one package chicken breasts
tomato
baby carrots
mushrooms
bagged salad
10 pounds potatoes
fabric softener (free so I could not resist)
2 containers bleach

Total: $24.75

I also picked up a dozen of eggs for free thanks to dh's blood donation. A local store gives each donor a coupon for a free dozen eggs. I often wonder how many donors take advantage of this. Dh would donate blood anyway, but the eggs are a nice perk.

Here are our meals for this week:

Pizza
shrimp, baked "fries", and salad
grilled ham & cheese, fresh fruit
deer roast, rice, peas
potato cheese soup
stew beef and vegetables
chicken salad sandwiches on homemade rolls
Big salads with chicken

No comments: