Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grocery Challenge - Week 3

I think this will get me on track with my shopping. I am three-fourths of the way through the challenge with this shopping trip. I do not feel that I have cut out much. I am just shopping smarter. I have gotten back to planning my meals and shopping by the sales. I think I may continue this after the four weeks are over.

I was slightly over budget this week; thirty-seven cents over to be exact. I could find that at the bottom of my purse so I am not stressing over it. Here is what I bought:

eight pounds sugar
cereal - 3
ground mustard
marshmallow fluff
turkey bacon
fresh pineapple
strawberries - 2
plums
garlic
baking potatoes
sweet onions
cabbage
Healthy Choice meals - 2
gallon 2% milk
toaster strudel - 4
pint whole milk
sour cream
pint heavy cream
cream cheese
pectin - 3

My total was $57.58. A large portion of what I bought was not for meals this week. I planned my menu around what I had on hand. I am planning to can some Vidalia onion relish and hot pepper jelly. I bought ingredients for those. I have some planned baking and also purchased ingredients for that. It felt good to get these extras and still stay very close to my budget!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, Dawn! You're amazing! I'm trying to get better about menu planning and budgeting! It's sooooo much work. I noticed you had linked to my blog so I had to come over check it out! I'm honored to have made your favorite blog list! Thanks ;)

Helena said...

I admire you for being so good about budgeting! Where do you shop - is it a supermarket, farmers' market...? I used to spend £10 a week or buying fruit and vegetables at a local vegetable store (it was next to my workplace - my old job). Being a vegetarian you save a lot on not having to buy meat too. I also bake a lot - our own bread at least. Still our shopping bill is much higher now since food prices have gone up plus we pay 20% tax at the moment on all purchases. :o(