Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Grocery Spending Week 4 & Menu Plan

I am terribly late posting this and will blame it on still being sick with bronchitis. I have literally been sick the entire summer. Fortunately I am not as sick as I was at the beginning of the summer. My grocery spending for the month ended up being slightly over - $4.14 to be exact.

For the final week I spent $53.77. Here is what I got:

barbecue sauce
Boston butt
four steaks
nectarines
mushrooms
cilantro
milk

That is a short list considering the amount spent. The Boston butt was cooked in the crock-pot and divided into five meal-sized portions. The steaks my husband wanted to cook for my birthday. My parents are coming over so we needed four steaks.

I need to point out that most of the cilantro was wasted. I bought it to put in pico de gallo. I decided that cilantro tastes like stink bugs. Now I have never willingly eaten a stink bug. If I did, I feel certain it would taste like cilantro.

After week four my grocery budget went on vacation a bit. Being under the weather and running to the doctor several times a week does absolutely nothing to encourage budgeting at the grocery store. I am going to dust myself off and get back to it next month.

Now for my planned meals for this week:

Homemade pizza - I finally found a crust my darling husband likes
Tomato sandwiches - tomatoes from the garden and homemade bread
Chicken tenders and French fries
Hamburgers and potato chips
Grilled steaks, twice baked potatoes, and some vegetable
Crab egg salad sandwiches
Spaghetti with meatballs, salad, garlic bread

1 comment:

terricheney said...

I love cilantro and was much amused by your statement of it tasting like stink buds, lol.

The cake in the latest post looks gorgeous as well. I must start stretching my cooking muscles once again and try some more difficult recipes.