Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July Daring Bakers - Fresh Fraisier

Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Bakers' host and she challenges us to make Fresh Fraisiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.



I know this is only my second Daring Bakers challenge, but it is going to be tough to beat. I made the fraisier over the course of two days. I flavored everything with vanilla. I left out the lemon zest and did not add the almond paste to the top. This was an amazing cake. It was not overly sweet and was a perfect summer dessert. I went with the traditional strawberries as the fruit.





I was pleased with the cake. I did, however, have to bake it in a larger springform pan than the 8" that was suggested. The pastry cream mousse was wonderful. Next time I will double the recipe. I did not have quite enough to fill the middle of the cake, and it sunk in the center just a bit. The flavor was amazing, and it was a hit with my family. I will definitely make this cake again.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Dawn - After seeing your Baklava last month, I checked out the Daring Kitchen website and joined up. We loved this Fraisier and I plan to make it again, only the chocolate version this time. My post is up if you want to see my cake, but it looks just like yours! :o) www.livedangerouslywhileeating.blogspot.com