Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Crafting for Operation Christmas Child

Operation Christmas Child is one of my favorite charity projects.  Not sure what it is?  Check it out here.  I like to make some items to include in my shoeboxes each year.  This year I made felt purses for the younger age groups.


I cut some felt into a rectangle and cut two strips for handles.  I used a cookie cutter as a pattern to cut a flower shape from felt.  First I sewed a button to the center of the flower and then sewed the flower to the felt rectangle.  Then I sewed the handles onto each end.  Finally I folded it with right sides together and sewed up the sides.

I also made some bracelets/headbands using weaving loops.  I cannot find the tutorial I originally used to learn how to make them.  This one will give you good instructions though.  This is a really quick craft and was apparently very popular with the girls.


It starts out bracelet size but can be stretched and worn as a headband or necklace.  The weaving loops can be bought in a large size bag for around $10. 

The collection date is less than 3 months away.  I usually work on my shoeboxes all year long and am always looking for a good deal on items that can be included.  Two of my favorite blogs devoted to Operation Christmas Child are Clip with Purpose and Life Inside the Box.  They have some wonderful ideas and tips for packing boxes on a budget.

No comments: