Monday, June 9, 2014

Weekly Savings & Some New Additions


I will start off with a non-frugal item but a very cute one.

 


 

This morning I went to the post office and picked up 19 baby chicks.  I have 18 white crested black polish and one golden polish (a free chick sent by the company).  I budgeted the money for these chickens and had them paid for before they were ordered.  I brought them home to a prepared pen with water and food.  The chicks are shipped on their birthday and are now 3 days old.  They all happily drank water.  Some huddled under the light and others went to check out the pan of food.  I will share updates as they grow.

 

Now for the weekly savings. …It was really quiet here as I taught two computer classes.  That in addition to my usual household work left little free time.

 

I did minimal grocery shopping last week and spent less than $10.  I have been working on a menu for the remainder of June using items that I have on hand.  I am not thrilled with the “new” grocery store (same store but owned by a different company).  I am planning a once a month trip to a second store I do not normally shop to stock up on items that will be cheaper.

 

I harvested lettuce, raspberries, and a single cherry tomato from the garden.  We were gifted some squash.  I have seen lots of little tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers so we should start harvesting more food soon.

 

I combined errands with the days that I worked this past week.  I was able to get 4 tubes of free toothpaste for the shoeboxes. 

 

I have been using the citrus vinegar I made for cleaning.  Laundry as usual was washed in homemade detergent (except for W’s work clothes) with vinegar for softener.  I was able to dry every load outside this week.

 

I made Swagbucks goals all week and ordered some Amazon gift cards.  These will be used for Christmas shopping. 

 

We watched several TV shows on Hulu.  I downloaded a couple of free games onto my tablet. 

1 comment:

Debbie in Florida said...

Your chicks are just DARLING! I've been enjoying your blog since I popped over on your link at Prudent Homemaker. I think you mentioned on Prudent Homemaker you would be doing a no spend month. Do you find you spend more the month after a no spend month?