Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekly Savings

I have had a busy week at home.  I did a bit of grocery shopping when I went to the nursing home for the monthly birthday party.  I did not make a second trip to town saving time and money.

Kmart had flip flops on sale this past week - two pairs for $1.  This was one of the items remaining on my shoebox list.  I used the online ordering option and was able to pick them up in the store the following day.  It was very easy.  I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes.  Even better I received a phone call from the store manager as a follow-up to make certain I had no problems.  I love good customer service.

W dropped his cell phone into the river while fishing.  He took it apart and placed the pieces in a bowl of rice.  After a couple of days it was dried out and works perfectly.

I pulled grass and other weeds from the garden and fed them to the chickens as a treat.  The rabbits ate lettuce, kale, and Swiss chard from the garden.

W and I ate cherry and yellow pear tomatoes.  I also picked peppers.  I dug the garlic which did well for my first attempt.  I collected a few herbs.

I purchased chicken breasts in bulk.  I prepared some as chicken tenders to bake for easy meals.  Others went into the freezer for various meals.  I made yogurt and peach ice cream.  I also canned peach pie filling (more on that later in the week).  I made ranch dressing using part of my homemade yogurt.

I crocheted several wash cloths for the shoeboxes using donated yarn.

I repaired a minor problem with the church's laptop after doing a simple online search.

A neighbor dropped off some Coke bottle caps, and I gave her a stack of magazines.  I use the bottle caps to get the magazines free.

I finally broke down and started watching Downton Abbey using Amazon's Prime Video.  I was pleasantly surprised that W liked it as well.  This gives us a new show to watch together.  While I do pay for Prime, I more than get my money's worth with the free books, TV/movies, and two day shipping.  I live a good two hour drive from any big city so it is a huge savings in gas, time, and wear on a vehicle.

We ate several meat free meals this week.  I made a pasta salad using vegetables, a bit of cheese, and some ranch dressing.  We also had tomato sandwiches on homemade bread.

1 comment:

Helena said...

I must be the only one who hasn't watched Downtown Abbey yet, and it's filmed not far from where I live! Maybe I will one day.