Monday, June 2, 2014

Weekly Savings

I made a batch of yogurt.  The starter container of yogurt cost more than a half gallon of homemade.


I made ranch dressing using yogurt and a reduced amount of mayonnaise.  W has said nothing about it tasting different.  It is a bit healthier and much cheaper now.


W traded four flats of eggs for two very large cabinets for his workshop.  He had wanted cabinets for some time now but had not found them at a good price.  The cabinets needed some slight modifications but work perfectly.


A trip to the grocery store was combined with another errand to save gas.  I spent $25 on groceries this week and plan to spend less than that this coming week as part of a pantry/freezer challenge. 


I needed a last minute baby shower gift and had already purchased a large package of wipes for another friend from Amazon.  I used the package of wipes for the baby shower and ordered another package for my friend's upcoming baby.  A $2 online coupon made the second package cheaper than the first.


I picked lettuce, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries from the garden.  I noticed a bunch of small tomatoes and peppers. 


We ate a few meatless meals this week.  Egg salad is a regular rotation and a cheap meal when eaten on homemade bread.  This week I added oven fried squash made with homemade bread crumbs and squash gifted from a neighbor.  I made an alfredo sauce with butter, half & half, and parmesan cheese.  We have an abundance of thin spaghetti, and W prefers a white sauce over a tomato based sauce.  This simple sauce on pasta makes a nice meal with breadsticks and a salad.


The rabbits, ducks, and chickens have continued to eat lettuce, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and weeds (mainly grass) from the garden.  I have planted more kale and Swiss chard as well as some more lettuce.  The areas are shaded so I hope it will last a bit longer before the heat gets to it.


Laundry was washed in homemade detergent and dried on the line.  I continue to use vinegar as a fabric softener. 


I used a coupon to purchase safety pins for the shoebox sewing kits.  My goal for June is to finish all 25 of them.  I have all of the components on hand - fabric, safety pins, needles, measuring tapes, and thread.  I bought large cones of thread and am winding it on floss bobbins.

No comments: