First I put out my trick or treat children. I have used these for several years. Somehow I lost the dowel rods that I used for the support. I dug around and found four metal rods which W said I could use. I did have to cut new eyes, but I used some scraps of felt that I had on hand.
The scarecrows were purchased years ago on clearance. I bought the jack o’lantern planter at a yard sale this spring for $1. I still need to add in some pumpkins from the garden.
W suggested we needed a sign. I had seen variations of the “Dead and Breakfast” signs on Pinterest. This was formerly our “Eggs for Sale” sign. It had gotten a bit worn, and I have enough regular egg customers that the sign was no longer needed. W had a leftover can of black spray paint which I used to cover up the previous message. I used some acrylic paint I had in my craft room and just hand painted the new message. I wanted it to look less than perfect.
This is my favorite thing. The spooky tree is a limb that had fallen out of one of the pecan trees. I had tattered cloth left from a previous Halloween project. It looks like moss when the wind blows. My only purchase this year was the seven ravens ($1 each from Dollar Tree). I plan to use those for several years to come.
I hope to add in additional decorations next year. By making purchases gradually and reusing decorations from previous years, I can decorate and stay within my budget.