Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Book Review: A Bone to Pick

Food is a hot topic.  We all have to eat.  The debates about food safety, organic vs non-organic, GMOs, and how our food is produced are never ending.  The more I read about the topics, the more attention I pay to my food choices.  A Bone to Pick by Mark Bittman was a fascinating look at the good and bad points of food in America.  This book is perfect for people who are already familiar with some of the problems as well as those who are interested in learning.


The book is a collection of columns written by Mark Bittman.  This may seem like a poor choice for book organization, but it is actually my favorite part.  The book covers a wide variety of topics ranging from Big Ag to diets to legislation.  I first thought these divisions within the sections would allow me to read a few pages here and there.  I found that once I started it was difficult to put the book down.  

The publication date of each column is included at the end. It is sad to see how little progress we have made in implementing fixes to the problems with our food system here in America.  The government seems unwilling to do the things necessary to make changes, but we cannot expect the government and food companies to act in our best interest.  We as individuals hold the most power.  Change is not easy when we are bombarded constantly with advertisements for fast food and overly processed foods.  While I feel I make good choices most of the time, the book encouraged me to make more changes and better decisions about the food that I buy and eat.  It is time to take responsibility for our food and speak with the most powerful tool we have - our money!

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments: