Saturday, December 23, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

X Marks the Scot by Kaitlyn Dunnett is the eleventh book in the Liss MacCrimmon Mystery series.  This is the first book I have read in this series, but I had no problem jumping right in.  Liss buys an old painting from the Chadwick mansion auction and is shocked to find a treasure map hidden in the back.  It quickly become apparent that she is not the only one interested in the map.  When strange things start happening even on her trip to Canada, Liss becomes determined to solve the mystery of the mysterious map.  While it was not the strongest mystery I read recently, it did hold my interest until the end.  The characters work well together, and the side stories were all relevant.  This is a solid cozy mystery.

Where the Wild Coffee Grows by Jeff Koehler promises the "Untold Story of Coffee".  Mr. Koehler definitely delivers. While a bit slow at times, it covers everything from the beginning of coffee in the wild to the problems it faces today. I particularly enjoyed reading about the culture of Ethiopia and how this region shaped the coffee we love today. If you are interested in learning more about coffee, this book is the one to read!

disclosure:  I received these books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: