Sunday, July 28, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

Crochet in a Day by Salena Baca, Danyel Pink, and Emily Truman features 42 crochet projects.  The projects are divided into themes.  While there are many great projects, my favorite is the puffy dishcloth.  All of the sections have several projects that would be great to make for yourself or gifts. The patterns have clear instructions and prominently displayed yarn weight.  I prefer crochet books that give a yarn weight along with a suggested brand.  It makes it easy for me to substitute with what I have on hand or can easily purchase. Another bonus for me is the visual index at the end of the book.  I can see myself turning to this book over and over when I need a quick project!

Janice Thompson's book The 5-Minute Bible Study for the Anxious Heart breaks Bible study into four steps.  Each section gives you a passage to read, questions to help you understand, a short devotion to apply the message, and finally a prayer.  Readers are given a longer scripture passage to read in additional to the short passage included in the book.  I have enjoyed using this book for my daily devotion time.  The short time required helps anyone with daily Bible study.

Deadly Vows by Jody Holford is the second book in the Britton Bay Mystery series.  Molly is happy with her new life in Britton Bay as well as her carriage house home at a bed and breakfast.  The entire town seems caught up in the upcoming wedding of a former resident's daughter.  A murder puts everyone on edge and threatens to derail the wedding.  I loved the first book and liked this one.  The second book in the series seemed more romance than mystery.  If you enjoy romance novels, that is a good thing.  I am not a romance fan.  While I can tolerate a bit, this was a bit over the top for me.

Leslie Karst's latest book in the Sally Solari Mystery series is Murder from Scratch.  Sally is busy with her restaurant but still takes in a family member whose mother died.  Evelyn is blind, but even she can tell that her mother's death was not suicide.  She and Sally team up to investigate.  The characters is this series continue to be strong, and the mystery kept me guessing until the end.  I continue to enjoy this series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: