Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Book Reviews

Pulp Friction by Julie Anne Lindsey is the second book in the Cider Shop Mystery series.  Now that Winnie and her grandmother have the orchard back on its feet.  Winnie is hosting the first wedding event.  The only problem is that the groom is drinking heavily and gets into a scuffle with Winnie's ex Hank.  When the groom is found dead shortly after, Hank is the main suspect and is also on the run.  Winnie jumps into the investigation and soon becomes the target of the killer.  I love the setting and characters in this series.  The mystery was strong enough with plenty of misdirection to have me questioning myself.  The book ended with a cliff hanger guaranteed to make you want to read the next installment.

The second book in the Cookie House Mystery series by Eve Calder is Sugar and Vice.  Kate is loving her new life in Coral Cay.  She is getting ready for the town's pirate festival and has started a cookie of the day challenge at the bakery.  While helping her friend Maxi put in garden beds behind the flower shop next door, Kate's dog Oliver unearths a body.  At first it is believed to be the long dead pirate Gentleman George who founded the town.  It soon becomes apparent that the body is more recent. Kate begins her own investigation into both the unidentified body and the mystery of the pirate George.  I loved the setting of the book and wished I lived in Coral Cay.  Oliver was certainly the star.  The pirate mystery was just as interesting as the murder mystery.  I did wonder how Kate could give away so many cookies, but that is just the business side of me thinking.  I look forward to my next visit to Coral Cay!

Proof of Murder by Lauren Elliot is the fourth book in the Beyond the Page Mystery series.  Bookshop owner Addie heads to an estate auction hoping to finds some books for her shop.  Instead the following day she finds a dead body inside a locked room.  In addition some very valuable books are missing.  The mystery was good, but I had a few areas that bothered me personally.  First Addie abandons her own shop to constantly help out at the auction.  I could see a bit of time spent helping, but she practically gave up her own business.  Second her ex-boyfriend (almost fiance) returns to town with a new girlfriend.  This new girlfriend immediately decides Addie is guilty of everything.  If the ex had mentioned "following the evidence" one more time, I would have happily had him be the next murder victim.  Addie would have been better off hiring a lawyer to sue for harassment and go back to her bookshop.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: