Monday, April 14, 2008

Waste Not

I cleaned out my herb garden and redid it over the weekend. (More on that in a future post) I had a bunch of parsley that had sprouted and been growing for a few months. I did not need it since I had a couple of small plants and seed to grow more. I hated to just toss it too. I decided instead to dry it and make my own parsley flakes. I washed it and sorted through it over the weekend and took it out to dry today.












First step was to put it out on the dehydrator trays:







Then I stacked them all up and let the dehydrator do its work:




After about 2 hours total I unstacked them and crumbled it up. The end result was a bottle full of my own organic parsley flakes.




The difference in this fresh dried parsley and what was in the bottle was amazing. Not only did it smell much better, but the color was amazing. I can see that I will be drying more of my own herbs and buying less. It required minimal effort and is free since I get the herbs from my herb garden.

No comments: