Tuesday, July 15, 2008

They're Celebrities!

Okay so this lovely pair will never be featured in a magazine but they are Celebrities nevertheless. After much trial and error over the years, I have finally found the best variety of tomatoes for the area I live in. Those just happen to be Celebrity. While everyone else is fussing about the tomato rot that seems to be spreading through the area, I am having no problems. I do have to start my plants from seed each year as the stores/nurseries do not carry this variety. It is worth all the extra work. I did not have to put any chemicals on my plants or tomatoes. I did have to remove a couple of tobacco worms early in the season. To make this even more frugal, I had used seeds left from last growing season. My goal for this year is to try to save some seeds from these tomatoes so I do not need to buy any seed for next year.

If the tomatoes you grew this year did not do as well as you had hoped, do a bit of research on other varieties. I do find that the more disease resistent types are better for where I live. I would love to try the heirlooms but am not convinced I would get one decent tomato. I always think a garden is a work in progress from year to year. Once you find what works best, you can enjoy wonderful fresh (organic) produce for a fraction of the cost.

No comments: