Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chickens

Last summer my husband and I got chickens. Who knew we would end up liking them so much? It is not just because we get wonderful fresh egg. The chickens have turned into true pets. I admit that they are a bit spoiled. They love vegetable scraps from the kitchen, the ends of homemade bread, and recently green clover that I find in the yard. Let me introduce you to our pets.

You might remember that had already taken in two homeless white cochin chickens. We named them Fred and Daphne.

First are the White Crested Black Polish. I fell in love with this breed after seeing them on an Easter episode of The Martha Stewart Show. When my husband was choosing, I begged for these to be mine.



Next are the Buff Polish, his choice. While mine will let you pet them, his will let you pick them up and hold them. The one that is just visible at the bottom of the photo always runs to the door and will walk right out if we are not careful. Fortunately she is easy to catch if she does get out.



Next are the Mille Fleur. They are the smallest of our chickens are full grown. Their coloring is beautiful. I took this picture from further away. The reason is below.



This is Butch. He is very protective of his hens. He will puff his feathers out and attack. When I need to change the water or fill the feeder, I toss cracked corn in the opposite direction to distract him. He is quite the bully.



Finally are the white leghorns. They lay extra large eggs and are still a bit shy. We got them only a few months ago. They are getting more tame but at least have calmed down. Fortunately Foghorn, the rooster, is not mean. If he were like Butch, I would be in big trouble.



Here is just a sample of the fresh eggs our backyard chickens provide us. The eggs are delicious with dark yellow yolks.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the photos of your chickens. The summer I turned 17, my family moved to an acreage and my grandmother, through a comedy of errors, ended up putting 100 chicks out at our house, using the old summer kitchen as a chicken coop. We didn't walk barefoot outside ever that summer!

Dawn said...

Wow, 100 chickens! I have my hands full with these although there is a rumor we are getting more. I would love for them to be free range, but the area is not really safe for that. The Polish also do not see very well. I think that is why they are so tame.

Helena said...

Love your chicken photos - and all the other photos of your garden here and on the green toe blog - gorgeous. You are very clever recycling and reusing a lot of stuff - it is very inspiring!