Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Garden Surprise

It has been a bit warmer this week so I ventured out into the yard. I went over to my old raised beds to see if any of the herbs had survived the winter. I only saw the rosemary bush. I did get a big surprise when I looked where the lettuce had been.

I found this ~

A beautiful head of burgundy lettuce. I was also happy to find several smaller plants. I am guessing this is from last year's lettuce that bolted and went to seed before it made heads. I was just complaining about having to buy sub-par lettuce so this was a wonderful blessing. It will make a wonderful salad or two this week.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I love garden surprises like this. Last year I had some lettuce come back from seed and I'm hopeful my Swiss Chard will come back. I know I'll have volunteer tomatoes. I always do.

Susan in SC said...

what a wonderful surprise to find. I always say that God planted it for me! Enjoy your salad.