Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rhonda's Grandpa's Bread

I have been searching for a good homemade sandwich bread. The ones I had tried in the past were not soft or had a pack-y texture. When I saw a bread recipe posted on if you do stuff, stuff gets done, I had to try it.

I was not disappointed. The baked bread from soft. I was also pleased that the frozen, thawed bread was just as soft. That is important since it is hard for our household of two to eat two loaves a bread before they get stale. I did use my Kitchen Aid mixer which made quick work of incorporating the ingredients.

This recipe definitely goes into my cookbook as a keeper. I have been enjoying it toasted with Nutella as part of my breakfast. Yum! I made it with some wheat flour but will try all white next. My dear husband says that wheat bread and peanut butter and jelly do not go together. As simple as it is to make, I can easily make a recipe of each.

3 comments:

Susan in SC said...

This is beautiful. I never have luck with using yeast. I am so jealous of folks who can. I think I will just drop by for a slice of warm bread and butter!

Dawn said...

Come right on over, Susan! I used to never bake with yeast as I had a fear of it. More of a fear of it either never working or the dough rising to the point it overtook a room. I have yet to get over my fear of the pressure cooker.

terricheney said...

I made this recipe of bread today and I am SOLD! I loved the sour dough starter bread that I used to make but it took forever to make. This was started around noon, was out of the oven before supper and that was in a fairly cool kitchen.
And yes, it IS the softest nicest bread I've ever made. I will be doing this again and again.