Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Money Saver: Compare Prices

One should not always assume that an advertised sale price is the best deal.  One of the convenience items I wanted to pick up was frozen french fries.  This is something that W can put in the oven and help make dinner or supper prep easier.  The grocery store offered bags of frozen fries for $2.  I originally planned to purchase two bags for $4. 

I had already put them in my cart when I decided to check the price on the larger bag.  I noted that I was getting 64 ounces for $4 with the sale item.  The larger bag of fries was 80 ounces and cost $3.99.  If I had not taken a few seconds to compare prices I would have essentially given away a pound of fries. 

I do realize that the whole potatoes I also purchased will make cheaper fries, and I do plan to use those for baked potato wedges.  The frozen fries are a convenient alternative.  Remember just because something is on sale does not make it the best deal!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Very true, those stores are sneaky.

Lorita said...

Yes, you really have to check things out and not just grab and go. As a general rule, the larger sizes are a better bargain, but not always.