Saturday, February 2, 2013

Operation Christmas Child Craft: Colors of Faith Bracelets

This year one of my goals is to make items for our Operation Christmas Child boxes.  Not familiar with Operation Christmas Child?  Check it out here!  W and I like to do a bunch of boxes which is achievable in part because our church pays for the shipping.  Still filling 50 boxes can be expensive, but it does not have to be.  I will be sharing some things that I do to keep the cost down while still providing a packed box for a girl or boy.

My first craft is colors of faith bracelets.  Here are the supplies I used:  cotton twine/yarn and pony beads.  That is it.


One of the reasons I was able to do this particular project for such a low cost was the giant roll of cotton twine.  My dad bought it for me at a yard sale last year for $2.  At the time I had no idea what to do with it, but it came in very handy for this project.  I also plan to use it for another later on.  You can also use something similar to this hemp cord.  I got two bags of pony beads for free by using a coupon.  You will need red, green, blue, white, black, yellow and clear pony beads.  I found these in bags of 500 for just $2.  That makes each bead less than half a penny!

To make the bracelets you need to cut lengths of cord 13 inches long.  I folded the cord in half and dropped down a little over an inch on one side and tied a knot.  My bracelets use an additional bead since the twine was so thin.  If you are using cording that will not be necessary.


You will string the beads on in the order shown in the photo (black, red, white, blue, green, and yellow.  Then tie a second knot just past the yellow bead.  The knots will keep the beads contained on the bracelet.  Now you want to take each end of the cording and run it through a clear pony bead on opposite sides.  You want a tail of the bracelet sticking out each end of the bead.  Tie a knot on each end of the cording.  This will allow the bracelet to be adjustable.

 

When I factored in the cost of the materials I used, each bracelet cost me 4 cents to make.  I did not count the cost of the cotton twine since so little was used.  Even if you purchase cording, a bracelet will cost less than 40 cents.  You can lower the cost if you get a good deal on cording.  Obviously I have enough materials to make bracelets for years to come.  I generally try to test ideas on the children in my Bible study class at church.  These were a hit with both the boys and the girls, and they wanted to make a second to give away.  Perhaps putting two in each of my boxes would be a good idea.

Not interested in picking up all of the materials yourself?  Oriental Trading sells a Faith Bracelet Craft Kit.  This is still a good value, and everything you need to make 12 bracelets is provided!

No comments: