Saturday, December 19, 2015

Book Review: Happy Herbivore Holidays and Gatherings

If you ever had the opportunity to meet my family, you would find any Happy Herbivore book an unusual choice.  I was excited to read Happy Herbivore Holidays and Gatherings though.  While I am not against eating meat, I could do without it at most meals.  I find nothing wrong with tossing in a plant based side dish to my family's holiday meals.

I knew the book would be good when I saw the recipe for cranberry sauce.  The ingredients are fresh cranberries, sweetener, and an orange (plus some water).  By sweetener the recipe means a few tablespoons of maple syrup.  I could easily eat cranberry sauce with no sweetener, but I do add a little for the sake of others.

The recipes are divided into sections by holiday/occasion.  While not everything would appeal to my family, the cowboy caviar in the New Year's Eve section would be a hit with everyone.  The Homemade Spaghetti Ohs would be a good thing for W and much healthier than the canned variety.  I am anxious to try the Cola Barbecue Sauce.

Is this cookbook for everyone?  No.  I do think it has a wide enough variety of recipes that those looking into a plant based diet would be interested.  I think someone who is already an herbivore would get the most use out of the cookbook.  It gives me some ideas for incorporating meatless and vegan meals.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: